Why Violence in School Happens
Dr. Hayman Kite, author and noted lecturer on violence, gives a detailed explanation of why violence happens. Knowing why it happens better prepares those in authority to be able to prevent it.
Table of Contents
- Description of a situation which focused him on researching violence in schools
- Two boys brought to principles office since they were about to fight
- One boy strikes the other causing child to go to hospital and lose use of left eye
- Begins Research to look into "What causes this kind of action"
- Studied: Aggression, Anger, Gangs, Prejudice and Violence
- Evolution / Theory on Violence
- 1938 - Frustration - Aggression connection
- 1960 – Environmental situations
- Questions asked:
- What can we do to prevent violence?
- Who do we place blame?
- Interviewed Kids who Dropper Out of School or Committed Violent Acts
- Findings / Theory:
- Theses Kids Don't Trust
- These Kids Totally Absent of Empathy
- They Lack Commonalities
- They Have No Sense of Future
- How did they get in this shape?
- 35 – 40 hrs domestic chores
- How we talk to our kids?
- Conditions children growing up in
- Technology Advanced
- Fast Paced
- Profoundly mute – no communication
- A Framework for Dialogue & Explanation
- Why it happened?
- Children have needs and aspiration
- These needs are blocked
- Anger precursor to violence
- What Causes Violence?
- It is the Interpretation the child gives of the block
- What Contributes to the Interpretation?
- Every child has a history
- Physical condition
- Content - situation variables
- Compile data in a systematic order
- Thought proceeds Action
- More time you can put between thought & action, better opportunity child has to make a decision.
- Can not do what you have not learned
- Thought always proceeds action
- Make a Choice
- What you know assume is true or not
- Not Legitimate
- Collect information about the child
- Have a way to deal with the problem
- Have a theory / explanation
- Teach Them Something
- More time between being provoked and thought allows them to chose a legitimate means
- Create a Generalist and test it, allows you to make every decision based on a rationale of why kids chose violence
- Questions and Answers
DVD Price: $70.00
for a printable version (pdto fax your order.
or click below to order using a credit card.